Last L&D visit……..babies here we come

Hello Everyone, I’m so sorry that I haven’t updated since I was 27 wks pregnant. That is a long time ago. so so sorry.

Well, my girls have arrived and I thought that I would write down their birth story as much as I can remember. Here it goes:

34wks6days. Last Pregnant Picture !

Last Pregnant Picture !

December 27th, 2013.

We had a great Christmas holiday and everything was going just fine with our pregnancy. I had been getting more and more Braxston Hicks contractions and my doctor was aware of it. For me it was a new experience as I did not have any with my son.

On the 27th, I noticed that I was getting them more and more frequently. At nighttime they were pretty uncomfortable and they were about 5 minutes apart. I made sure to let Tom know about it, drank tons of water, and I mean tons of it and went to bed early.

December 28th, 2013

I woke up pretty often throughout the night just feeling very uncomfortable. Finally at 6am, I decided to count the contraction and time them (thanks to my fun iphone app). I confirmed that they were 5 minutes apart and I had plenty of them within the hour. I woke Tom up and we decided that it was time for us to head to L&D just in case.  Grandma stayed home with our handsome boy, and we made sure that we had everything packed in our car.

On our way over there, I made sure to count my contractions. From our home to the hospital, it’s a 45 minutes drive and by the time I got there I had a total of 16 contractions, which meant that they were now every 3 minutes instead of 5. We arrived at the hospital at around 8am or so. They hooked me up to everything and the girls were doing great. My doctor was out of town and we had Dr.Esguerra, and i quickly found out what a sweet man he was. He kept calling me sweetie but not in a weird, but a very relaxing and calming way. He checked my cervix and I was dilated 1cm, zero effaced and a -3 stage. which  meant that nothing was really going on besides my contractions.

They gave me some IV fluids to see if I was dehydrated and maybe that would calm down my contractions but that didn’t work. The next step was giving me a shot of terbutaline. I took that, which made my heart race quite a bit and then we waited for about 1 hr. The entire time the girls were hooked to the machine and everything was going well with them.

The doctor came back within the hour, I was still not dilated but my contractions were still happening every 3 minutes. He then said to me, well dear, it’s not stopping now is it? I don’t want to send you home and you keep contracting and risk your previous scar from tearing. So I think that the best plan is to have these babies today.

Of course, I’m up for anything that is safe for my babies. He explained that the anesthesiologist would be coming in to talk to me, and then the nurses would prep me and take me into the O.R.

Everything happened very quickly. I got up to use the restroom and made some calls to let my mom and other people know that our princesses were arriving that day.
The nurse came in with these wet pads that were rather thick and a paper with instructions on how to clean myself. I have to say that it was quite interesting to do that.

I cleaned myself as I talked to my mother on the phone. She was a little bit freaked out when I told her the news and wasn’t sure what to do. I told her to just stay put and wait and see what happens after the section.

The anesthesiologist came in, her name was Dr.Shaffer. She was this sweet petite lady and she was the nicest person ever. She explained in detail what was going to happen, checked on my back and asked if I had any questions. I asked my questions and she said, “well, I’ll see you at around 1pm”

After we were all “ready” and clean I sat there with Tom. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks and I just started bawling.

I was so freaking scared. I’m not sure exactly what I was scared of the most………but I was so so scared. I won’t lie, my subconscious new when I left the house that my babies were arriving that day, BUT, I still wasn’t mentally prepared for it. I was afraid that they weren’t ready. that my body failed me and that they would spend an eternity in the NICU and I was so sad and scared.

Of course my incredible husband was right there beside me to calm me down. He is incredible and I don’t know how he does it, but he is so capable of calming me down and giving me the sense of security and that everything is going to be ok.

To be continued…….


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s